Background to the PHASE Nepal Colposcopy Partnership
In 2002 the Nepal Network for Cancer Treatment and Research (NNCTR) started the task of introducing mass screening for cervical cancer in collaboration with WHO (World Health Organisation) and the IARC (International Agency of Research on Cancer). To date over 20,000 women have been screened. The management of screen positive patients was problematic as colposcopy services were poorly developed and many patients were subjected to overtreatment. A Memorandum of Understanding was therefore agreed between the PHASE colposcopy group and NNCTR to develop colposcopy services and training. The PHASE colposcopy group is a collaboration of UK colposcopists working voluntarily to assist the partnership. These web pages outline our work.
Aims of the Group
The purpose of this partnership is to:
- develop a sustainable, high quality colposcopy service to the women of the Kathmandu valley referred following screening from camps organized by the NNCTR and the local clinicians
- strengthen existing services through training and education
- develop a pool of high quality, well trained colposcopists in Nepal
- Advocacy for fighting cervical cancer at a local and national, Governmental level.
- help develop the vision of a population based cervical screening programme with the aim of reducing cervical cancer death rates
Our collaboration has achieved to date:
- Two weekly fully functional colposcopy clinics at the Maternity Hospital, Kathmandu, offering diagnosis and treatment to those who have been referred from the regional screening programmes
- Three 3 day colposcopy workshops with lectures and hands-on training for Nepalese gynaecologists
- Four exchange visits to the UK of six senior Nepalese doctors and two Nepali nurses to train in colposcopy.
- An increase in the number of colposcopists working in the country.
- Advocacy for a cervical screening programme in the country.
- One 2 day workshop for pathologists in cervical pathology attended by 25% of the countries pathologists
- Funding from the UKAID programme for a two year project to train more colpscopists and pathologists
See the REPORTS section for information on our exchange visits and workshops
Monitoring and Evaluation of Programme
Assessing the success of our programme is important. Measuring the death rates of cervical cancer, however, would be logistically difficult in a country like Nepal where data collection on disease like cancer is not obtained on a national level. Another indicator would be the detection of high grade CIN (pre-cancerous cells) on the cervix as we know that one in four women with this disease go onto develop cervical cancer
Data from the Maternity Hospital clinic run by Dr Verma has recently reported results.
April 2010 to October 2011 data (18 months)
Number of women screened:
- Number screen positive (VIA/VILI) : 81 (5%)
- Number of patients having a colposcopy: 188 (17.2%)
- Colp data (total 188)
- Number of biopsies: 52
- Number of loops: 23
- Number of cryotherapy procedures: 10
- Number of cases of Low Grade CIN cases: 30
- Number of cases of High Grade CIN cases: 28
- Total number of cases of CIN: 58
- Pick up rate of high grade CIN in total screened: 1.7%
Cervical Cancer And Cervical Screening In Nepal
According to the World Health Organisation, cervical cancer is the most frequent cancer among women in Nepal. The disease is preventable by screening. Such a screening programme requires a coordinated effort from screening camps, to colposcopy (treatment of women who are screen positive), to pathological interpretation of tissue that is removed from the cervix. A reduction in the death rates from cervical cancer will only happen when all aspects of this process is addressed with on-going training, mentoring and quality assurance through audit. The Government of Nepal has agreed a national cervical screening programme with the aim of reducing deaths from cervical cancer. The plan is for 50% of the population of women to be screened by 2014. To download a copy of this programme please click here (attached PDF*)
The UK Team
The UK colposcopy team are a group of doctors and nurse colposcopists who provide a colposcopy service within the UK National Health service
- David Nunns (Chair): Consultant Gynaecological Oncologist, Nottingham City Hospital
- Rafiat Adekunle: Consultant Gynaecologist, Dewsbury Hospital
- David Fenton: Retired Consultant Gynaecologist
- Sherryl Goodhall: Nurse colposcopist, Royal Shrewsbury Hospital
- Esther Moss: Consultant Gynaecological Oncologist, Leicester Royal Infirmary
- Jane Panikker: Consultant Gynaecologist, Royal Shrewsbury Hospital
- Gerda Pohl: General Practitioner, Rotherham
- Beth Devonald: Retired Colposcopist
- Chris Ang: Consultant Gynaecological Oncologist, Gateshead
For further information please contact email@example.com
Our Nepali Partners
The Nepal Network for Cancer Treatment and Research is the Nepali based screening organisation aimed at cervical and breast cancer screening. PHASE and NNCTR are the facilitators for UK and Nepali Consultants to work together. PHASE and NNCTR signed a Memorandum of Understanding in in 2010.
- Nepal Network for Cancer Treatment and Research NGO, Banepa, Nepal (NGO, Dr Surendra Bade)
- Paropkar Maternity and Women’s Hospital, Katmandu, Nepal (clinical contact – Dr Verma)
- National Public Health Laboratory, Kathmandu, Nepal (pathology contact –Dr Shakya)
Plans for 2013
In 2013 we aim to consolidate the work carried out so far by building up the capacity of the trained pathologists and colposcopists in the country. Quality will be a clear focus of our work.in 2013 we plan to carry out the following:
- A visit to the UK by two Nepali training colposcopists (doctor and a nurse)
- Ongoing quality assurance programme for colposcopy and pathology – data collection
- The development of web- based educational material for pathologists
A range of reports about the PHASE – Colpscopy Partnership can be found by clicking here
Nepal Network for Cancer Treatment and Research NGO, Banepa, Nepal (NGO, cervical screening contact): www.nnctr.org.np
This our link partner in Nepal who provide cervical and breast screening camps as well as HPV vaccination programmes in the Kathmandu area.
International Agency for Research on Cancer: http://screening.iarc.fr/
This is a good resource on cancer screening and cervical cancer. It is from the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) which is part of the World Health Organization. (IARC’s mission is to coordinate and conduct research on the causes of human cancer, the mechanisms of carcinogenesis, and to develop scientific strategies for cancer prevention and control. The Agency is involved in both epidemiological and laboratory research and disseminates scientific information through publications, meetings, courses, and fellowships.) If you look at the online resources – there are lectures (with voice overs), atlases of colposcopy and pathology and lots of info on VIA/VILI and issues surrounding cervical screening.
The British Society for the Study of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology: www.bsccp.org.uk
This is the professional UK organisation who represents colposcopists. The provide education, training and quality assurance in colposcopy. They have been keen sponsors of our UK-Nepal programme.
Purchase Cheap Soccer Kits From Chinese language https://www.alljerseysports.com Wholesalers
Low cost Authentic Low cost Soccer Jerseys Manufacturing unit Wholesale USA Online cheap Jacksonville Jaguars football Jerseys Outlet From China Free Delivery,Wholesale NHL Hockey Jerseys Low-cost And cheap Baltimore Ravens football Jersey Wholesale Nike NFL Football Jerseys Cheap And Wholesale Basketball NBA Jerseys Low-cost And Wholesale Soccer Jerseys Low cost For Sale. So nail your colors to cheap Minnesota Vikings football jerseys the mast, create your own identity and package your group out for much less with Clubline Football. Our low cost soccer kits can be found in a range cheap France Soccer Shirt of colours and kinds, each set features a soccer shirt, football shorts and socks Discount Arsenal Jersey for just £10 per set. Pay tribute to U.S. troops with NFL Salute to Service hoodies and kit for a unique cheap Baltimore Ravens football jerseys technique to cheer in your favorite football group.
Our number of clearanced Group Sports activities Gear https://www.alljerseysports.com ranges from Jerseys and T-Shirts to in style Coaches Polos and Sideline Hats. Low cost Authentic Cheap Football Jerseys Factory Wholesale USA Online Outlet From China Free cheap France Soccer Shirt Transport,Wholesale NHL Hockey Jerseys Low-cost And Wholesale Nike NFL Soccer Jerseys Low-cost And cheap Dallas Cowboys football jerseys Wholesale Basketball NBA Jerseys Cheap And Wholesale Soccer Jerseys Cheap For Sale.
Think they specializing in their first baby finally and to Manchester Utd Football Shirts guantee that it’s raised Low cost Football Jerseys From China correctly, Rob (pictured here along with cheap Denver Broncos jerseys football jerseys his DWTS associate, Cheryl Burke) shared in a new interview. Our selection of football shirts on offer usually include shirts from the most important clubs on the planet corresponding cheap Chelsea football shirts to; as Manchester United, FC Barcelona and Bayern Munich, but you will also find soccer shirts on provide cheap portugal football shirts Materials for reasonable soccer kits, equipment and gear have developed significantly since 1979 and our company place is such that we have been capable of take full advantage of the availability of recent supplies and the development of recent applied sciences referring to garment processing. Get low cost soccer shirts, tops soccer shirts , football shirts kits on-line football shirts from China orange soccer shirts wholesalers.
This implies you profit from high quality cheap spain football shirts yet low cost soccer kits and soccer tools. They both appear to have very completely cheap Arsenal football shirts different outlooks on life, so engaged on parenting that will compliment Low cost Football Jerseys Outlet one another may also be a challenge.